
"a reader"
My dd is 10 1/2 and I can now say she is a reader.
Again, I have to say you should be impressed. Well, at least *I* should be impressed.
I fretted, worried, cried, and sweated-out this entire learning to read process.
We tried workbooks, flash cards, computer programs, computer games,
board games, easy readers, picture books, curriculum........the list truely could go on and on and on. (POOR KID!!!)
What makes her a real reader now? The definition only works for me(because it is one I conjured) , and it is this:
Real Reader: Someone who chooses to pick up a book and can successfully read it independently.
I have to say, seeing my dd pick out "Magic City" by E. Nesbit and choose to read it tonight to her sister while they lay in their bunk beds, was amazing.
Did all the above mentioned programs and curricula do their job, create reading magic?
Well of course they played a key role. But I know my daughter, and time is what it took for her.
As I am able to do again (with dd, 5 and ds 4) I will read aloud, I will review words and letter sounds, but I will not be the "reading teacher tyrant" I was for dd #1.
Sorry Kiddo, I hope you know I've learned my lesson.
And you've picked an awesome author to enjoy!
Kudos!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home