I began this tree over the weekend, before the oldest left for camp. She was very excited about the little door. Her sister immediately said it was Peter Rabbit's house, but then no.. it couldn't be. He didn't have a door. We joked that it must be his great, great grandson's house.
I think it will end up being a story. I have started on page two, which has four sections to the page. I don't think that this page is done yet.. too much white, but I really love the tree.
Once inspired by Tasha Tudor writing stories for her young children, I wrote a book for my oldest when she turned 9. A story about one of our cats, one who had mysteriously appeared and adopted us. My daughter often wondered aloud where the cat had come from? she was so young why had she been abandoned?
I gave Cookie some history, a few little sketches, and bound it at Kinko's for my daughter's birthday.
I showed a friend the other day and she said,
"You know you have at least two more books in you.
You have two more who will be turning 9." I am ashamed to say, it hadn't even occurred to me.
So later that day I dug around and found the other copies I'd made of the book and my middle child saw as I found them.
"Oh Mom! I love the Cookie Story! I'm so glad you found that!
Can you read it to me right now?"
Of course, of course I did. How could I have forgotten about this book and about my desire to write several books for my kids? Then I realized, I had written that story almost a year before our first move, then we had another move, and then a year of being settled... I even found the copies of the book in the garage.. in a box.
I read a blog this week where the author had a summer list of things to do and asked us to share what our list looks like.
My summer-to-do-list absolutely includes working on a new story, I've got a year and a half before the first "nine deadline"!
We had a pastor once who had to have kidney dialysis. He would talk with other patients while he was there and once came upon a gentleman who was just frustrated with his health and life. Depressed.
Pastor Brown kept talking with the man and once said, "What is it that you enjoy?"
"Enjoy?"
"Yes, some hobby, something that you enjoy?"
"Well, I like to go horseback riding."
"When's the last time you went?"
"About 20 years ago."
"Man, go get on a horse!!"
Then it struck Pastor, that he loved to build banjos (an incredible musician, this man). But he hadn't built a banjo in years.. many years.
He started from scratch right away. Always finding that he had at least three banjos going at once.
My parents have one of his hanging in their home.
So reader, what about you? Is there something that you enjoy that has been put on the back burner for so long that you've nearly forgotten?
"Man.. go get on a horse!"
I think it will end up being a story. I have started on page two, which has four sections to the page. I don't think that this page is done yet.. too much white, but I really love the tree.
Once inspired by Tasha Tudor writing stories for her young children, I wrote a book for my oldest when she turned 9. A story about one of our cats, one who had mysteriously appeared and adopted us. My daughter often wondered aloud where the cat had come from? she was so young why had she been abandoned?
I gave Cookie some history, a few little sketches, and bound it at Kinko's for my daughter's birthday.
I showed a friend the other day and she said,
"You know you have at least two more books in you.
You have two more who will be turning 9." I am ashamed to say, it hadn't even occurred to me.
So later that day I dug around and found the other copies I'd made of the book and my middle child saw as I found them.
"Oh Mom! I love the Cookie Story! I'm so glad you found that!
Can you read it to me right now?"
Of course, of course I did. How could I have forgotten about this book and about my desire to write several books for my kids? Then I realized, I had written that story almost a year before our first move, then we had another move, and then a year of being settled... I even found the copies of the book in the garage.. in a box.
I read a blog this week where the author had a summer list of things to do and asked us to share what our list looks like.
My summer-to-do-list absolutely includes working on a new story, I've got a year and a half before the first "nine deadline"!
We had a pastor once who had to have kidney dialysis. He would talk with other patients while he was there and once came upon a gentleman who was just frustrated with his health and life. Depressed.
Pastor Brown kept talking with the man and once said, "What is it that you enjoy?"
"Enjoy?"
"Yes, some hobby, something that you enjoy?"
"Well, I like to go horseback riding."
"When's the last time you went?"
"About 20 years ago."
"Man, go get on a horse!!"
Then it struck Pastor, that he loved to build banjos (an incredible musician, this man). But he hadn't built a banjo in years.. many years.
He started from scratch right away. Always finding that he had at least three banjos going at once.
My parents have one of his hanging in their home.
So reader, what about you? Is there something that you enjoy that has been put on the back burner for so long that you've nearly forgotten?
"Man.. go get on a horse!"



2 Comments:
Great post.
xox, P.
I have so many thigns going. Honestly, the best thing I could do would be to let go and focus.
I can't wait to see the product :-). Hopfully . . .
Post a Comment
<< Home