Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Unschooling at it's finest ~
august_06_041


Yesterday we were at the pool and Grace and I were having a discussion about UV rays penetrating clouds. All three kids were making some comments about clouds and I asked what are clouds made of. Parker responded first, "water!". I was so excited that he knew that. He's had science class with a friend's mom and my first thought was, "Great! He took something away from that!". I was really kind of surprised because he usually lets the girls answer everything. (well, mostly he doesn't get a chance.. you know) So I asked him how he knew that and he says, "Remember that Avatar episode when Aang flies into a cloud and comes out wet?"
(Katara: Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft cottony heap.
Sokka: Maybe you should give it a try.
Katara: You're hilarious.

(Cut to Aang, whose head pops towards the camera, almost smashing into it, a wide grin on his face.)

Aang: I'll try it! Yehhhh!

(He jumps right off Appa's side, laughing and hurtling down through the clouds with his staff. Sokka and Katara look over the side of Appa as he plunges through a cloud. A moment later Aang lands next to them with his glider. He is soaking wet.)

Aang: Turns out clouds are made of water!


Do we even realize how often our children learn without being "taught"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home