Artist to Artist week six
So, who knew Eric Carle would take two weeks? And then inspire a big project?? I am very happy with the way things have worked out for this group.
Tuesday we read more about Eric, more about his growing up in Germany (though he lived in the U.S until he was 6), more about how he gets his ideas for his stories.. then I held up a hat with topics in it and each group drew a topic from that hat. Little kids picked, "A Dog Rescues A Squirrel" and the older kids got "The Pet Show".

The little guys jumped right into it, throwing out ideas, asking to draw the animals, tossing in an evil villain cat..this group is made up of five kids (four girls, one boy) ages 5 to 8.


The older girls (10 - 13) got very bogged down with ideas, details, a few testy moments.. I would have never guessed! They were worried about structure for the book, "but we can't have a title yet.. that comes after writing!". Oh my.
I had to talk them down a bit, "It's just a theme, an idea... this isn't a technical writing class, just have fun!" and then the ideas began to roll.
Now, here I have to confess (and those of you who live in this town and know me are not allowed to leave comments of howling laughter!!) I am a "BIG IDEA" person... the details do escape me when I have a grand plan. So at our older kids table are some detail people and I think I was freaking them out!~
But all began to fall into place for them too.

This is Grace's house collage..
So now this group time has taken a turn.. instead of simply meeting an artist each week, we will also be working on a book. I hope to finish it up by the first week of December, have my dh make copies for everyone and they they can bind them as they see fit. Ours will probably be bound at Kinko's and become Christmas gifts for miss Reese and my nephew Bob! And maybe for the grandparents too..
Tuesday we read more about Eric, more about his growing up in Germany (though he lived in the U.S until he was 6), more about how he gets his ideas for his stories.. then I held up a hat with topics in it and each group drew a topic from that hat. Little kids picked, "A Dog Rescues A Squirrel" and the older kids got "The Pet Show".

The little guys jumped right into it, throwing out ideas, asking to draw the animals, tossing in an evil villain cat..this group is made up of five kids (four girls, one boy) ages 5 to 8.


The older girls (10 - 13) got very bogged down with ideas, details, a few testy moments.. I would have never guessed! They were worried about structure for the book, "but we can't have a title yet.. that comes after writing!". Oh my.
I had to talk them down a bit, "It's just a theme, an idea... this isn't a technical writing class, just have fun!" and then the ideas began to roll.
Now, here I have to confess (and those of you who live in this town and know me are not allowed to leave comments of howling laughter!!) I am a "BIG IDEA" person... the details do escape me when I have a grand plan. So at our older kids table are some detail people and I think I was freaking them out!~
But all began to fall into place for them too.

This is Grace's house collage..
So now this group time has taken a turn.. instead of simply meeting an artist each week, we will also be working on a book. I hope to finish it up by the first week of December, have my dh make copies for everyone and they they can bind them as they see fit. Ours will probably be bound at Kinko's and become Christmas gifts for miss Reese and my nephew Bob! And maybe for the grandparents too..



2 Comments:
I did a really long comment and lost internet (ah country living) which I don't really want to repeat. Have you seen this site - tikatok.com?
Ahh, Eric Carle. So lovely. I had the opportunity to meet him at a book signing once, and he is just as you would expect him to be. Like a grandpa.
(And thanks for the invite!)
Post a Comment
<< Home