Tuesday, October 16, 2007

In My Neighborhood :: Peace




This blog entry idea originated over at green jello's blog.
Of course, I'm a day late,
as the plan is ~

Monday-Peace

Tuesday - Fun

Wednesday - Weird

Thursday - Special

Friday - Home


~but I don't mind if you don't. This is an "assignment" I gladly embrace as
I have lived in my neighborhood for seven months now and I want to know all these aspects.
Some I can name right off the bat. Like the beautiful photo of the sky above. Right out our front door, even though we live in the heart of our city, we have a gorgeous open sky. No wires, no buildings blocking our view. Just a breath-taking glimpse of the heavens.


And this fantastic tree in our neighbor's yard. It is right out the window where I am sitting, and I love it. I love it's strong branches reaching upward, like it is holding up nature herself.

So I find peace in creation surrounding our home. The sky, trees, and the squirrels that curl themselves around the tree trunks and play chase down the top of our fence.


I also find peace in the fact that my folks live three blocks east of our home. (and my mother-in-law 10 blocks east!)

I didn't wonder if that would be "too close", though some teased us. And even though my oldest is able to sit with the younger two while I'm running a quick errand, there is peace in knowing that all the Grandparents are right around the corner.

There is joy in that too, as Grandma is always up for a quick run to Starbucks or Sonic. She always has stamps and band-aids and ice cream.

Grandpa is always willing to let the little ones dig in his yard and had an endless supply of quarters. Mysteriously, they are often found glued to the sidewalk near his house! Amazingly when the children have picked and picked one until it pops off, a shinny new quarter appears the next day!


Oh and Nana's house always has chores available for a fair wage and of course treats to be had after. And she has cable too, so movie night is sometimes held at Nana's. (or maybe for dad, a "Dirty Jobs" or "Myth Busters" marathon.)



Well, it looks like some of tomorrow's fun has seeped into today's peace. But don't worry, there is more fun to come tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's o.k. to be late, I will add you to the list. These photos are lovely.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your discussion of living near your parents. That's the best - and wow, the story about the quarters? Fabulous. Seriously. That is so cool. And... mom nearby and always ready for Sonic or Starbucks... that's the best!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that idea .. and maybe I should do something similar. Love your photos... and so lucky to live near your family :).

7:17 PM  
Blogger kitten said...

Gosh, We live 2mins and 35 secs from my mom, less than 7 mins from Dan Dan's mom and about 15 mins from his dad. I wouldn't know what to do if they lived miles away. Glad yall are liking where you at.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Leigh-Ann said...

i'm really enjoying your blog :)
you remind me of my friend Stefani (Blue Yonder)...
that tree is so pretty. what a gift out your window every day :)
the quarter thing...LOVE!
LA

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home