Grace found this frame I made for my mom when she helped her sort things this weekend.
In the photo I'm 12, and the teacher (Mrs Guagenti, still a dear friend) had us make the frame during Sunday School then took our photos. This is right outside our church in the courtyard.
I think it is one of the few photos of me that I really like.
(aside from the ginormous frames!)
That Grace found it when she is 12, that I was so sure of myself (as she is) at 12, and that the years following that shot weren't so great all swirl around in my mind.
What would I say to my 12 year old self?
Well, I would start with:
keep up the music (at this point, organ and clarinet)
campaign for the guitar lessons
ignore your dumb ass teachers
read the classics
save money
I'm willing to guess just about anyone would say those same things to their 12yo self. There are other things that would have to be said..even things I find myself not wanting to go into here, on my now private blog. I bet we all have those things too. I guess I would say ~ pray a lot, protect yourself, and surround yourself with good trustworthy friends. That seems to be what I do now, and what I share with Grace. We talk about the value of good friends so very often.
So what about you? What would you say to your 12yo self? Feel free to share here in the comments, or link to your own blog post (with a picture!!!!)
In the photo I'm 12, and the teacher (Mrs Guagenti, still a dear friend) had us make the frame during Sunday School then took our photos. This is right outside our church in the courtyard.
I think it is one of the few photos of me that I really like.
(aside from the ginormous frames!)
That Grace found it when she is 12, that I was so sure of myself (as she is) at 12, and that the years following that shot weren't so great all swirl around in my mind.
What would I say to my 12 year old self?
Well, I would start with:
keep up the music (at this point, organ and clarinet)
campaign for the guitar lessons
ignore your dumb ass teachers
read the classics
save money
I'm willing to guess just about anyone would say those same things to their 12yo self. There are other things that would have to be said..even things I find myself not wanting to go into here, on my now private blog. I bet we all have those things too. I guess I would say ~ pray a lot, protect yourself, and surround yourself with good trustworthy friends. That seems to be what I do now, and what I share with Grace. We talk about the value of good friends so very often.
So what about you? What would you say to your 12yo self? Feel free to share here in the comments, or link to your own blog post (with a picture!!!!)



3 Comments:
No way. I saw that picture on facebook and thought it was Grace!
I would tell myself that popularity means nothing so don't chase after it. When you're in college and after, everyone is equal (no nerds, popular chicks, etc).
I thought is was Grace too. I'll have to think about that ?, it is a good one,, and also thanks for the book link. How did you know I was wanting to find a good book to read???
Post a Comment
<< Home