Tuesday, August 12, 2008


six one way week thirty
Originally uploaded by hsmom2luge
look ~ they can be sweet too! enjoying a quiet morning with comics, looking for a letterbox near a HUGE tree, and creating his own bubbles. yet, we all know that the story that will always be remembered is the evening they torn down the ceiling!
I even told Lucy that night that one day this will be funny & a great story to tell her children, that it just wasn't funny right then.
So here's what happened~ we were watching the men's gymnastic team and Parker was way excited. He loved it ~ adults were playing!!
Soon he and Lucy disappear downstairs and while I knew Lucy said,
"Let's go do gymnastics downstairs" it never occurred to me that they would try to make still rings!!
Apparently he even was able to hang on that rope for a second before it all crashed down. Oh.. could have been so much worse.
The noise was so scary, the dogs were freaking out, the kids were scared to death (Parker bawling hysterically, afraid we'd have to move). Yet, Lucy only had a scrap on her leg & P had no injuries!
I yelled at them once, to get their attention because they were so hysterical. L finally told me the ceiling had fallen, which I couldn't even comprehend until I saw it. (cursing did follow the seeing)
I ran back upstairs and told them to calm down, and go wash their faces. Called Jonathan (who was incredibly calm, I guess I was upset enough for the both of us) who assured me it could be fixed and not too expensive.
I then got the kids into bed and we talked, then prayed. Lucy's sweet voice, full of tears, asking Jesus to forgive her and Parker for tearing down the ceiling was enough to extinguish the fire of anger that was inside me. After praying I told them both that they were forgiven, that they'd have to help daddy with cleaning up and maybe pay for some of the tiles (they didn't), hugs and kisses and a peaceful night sleep was the result.
Now, the ceiling is fixed, the clean up has been done and I know they will tell that story for the rest of their lives. It is funny now, already! Which I sure didn't expect :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit (right back at you :-) ). You must have been so scared. Now, however, you will be one of the few mom's who can say the ceiling crashed on their children and they lived to talk about it.

James is currently in a breaking everything he touches stage, but it hadn't occurred to me (yet) to be worried about the ceiling.

This will be a classic story.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hey! At least they didn't run into the house with a CAR!!! Hee hee! :-) Glad everyone is ok.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home