Monday, February 02, 2009


Think
Originally uploaded by hsmom2luge
I stumbled upon Think a while back (I think through the Crafty Crow). I subscribed to the blog and get weekly challenges through my email.
Last week, week 23, the challenge was to place 8 spoons, 8 knives, and 8 forks on the table. Make a tower that is as tall as possible. Perfect for Lucy, the builder.

febuary 011

I've also be thinking about my little "recipe" for unschooling (posted yesterday). I don't like that it is titled unschooling. I don't even know that I am liking that title of "unschooling" at all. Jon and I have talked about this a lot lately and I guess what I see is,
that we are.
Just that.. kind of like ~
It Is What It Is.
We just are.

When I look at the recipe, it is simply what we..honestly, what *I* have done. I have tried everything. I have thrown it away (curriculum, texts), I have added love, and willingness. And that is no minor feat. I had to break away from the authoritarian parenting of my own mother. I have to be willing to go, to try to do what my kids want to do. And I had to open exploration.. it went hand in hand with willingness.
I think trust should be added too. I have learned to trust my children.
This is my road. It might not be yours, or hers or his.. it is mine, and I'm just not sure that it is called, "Unschooling road". I think it just is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Love your results from the THINK challenge. Owen has tried a few of them- this building challenge I know he would enjoy.

My husband and I were talking about our homeschooling journey this morning. The more freedom, space and time we allow, the more Owen seems to immerse himself in learning. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself every day :)

6:51 AM  
Blogger hsing3kinder said...

Hi Tara!
It's a daily process isn't it?
Thank God for our freedom!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I have other unschooling friends who prefer to call it "life learning." :-)

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home