Sunday, January 25, 2009


on my desk
Originally uploaded by hsmom2luge
"You could ask a procrastinator to paint the bedroom, and she might lie on the couch mentally preparing to paint, rehearsing what kind of brushes she will use, and what color paint to buy. When you ask her when she'll be starting, she might say, "I'll do it later, I'm too tired now." And she never actually made any physical movement!" ~ pg. 91 "Make Your Creative Dreams Real" by Sark.

Oh I read that last night and laughed out loud. It is me, it is me.
It is me in my journaling, painting, drawing, writing... so I gladly read on to find out about microMOVEments!
MicroMOVEments
I really tend to do this anyway, write little notes and put them on the cabinet. Mine usually say, "Cello, Read Aloud, GG's errand", things like that. But I'd never applied it to my creative life.
This morning I wrote out some of my creative dreams:
~ Do the Book of Days with the kids
~ Write the Ash Tree Story
~ Begin a composition book art journal
~ Make "Monkey Bread Monday" the first entry
~ Brainstorm ideas for the Etsy Shop
~ Write the Toad's Wizarding Service story
~ Clean studio space (aka my messy desk and shelves)

note cleaning is the LAST thing :-)
So once I had written down all that I would like to work on, it was time to narrow some of those ideas down.
What did I want to work on first? The Ash Tree story.
mircomovement wheel
Sark says that to keep things moving, make a mircomovement wheel. I decided to do this with the Ash Tree story. Starting with today, I gave myself a goal of gathering all my notes about the story and typing them out on the computer. I found that I could fill up just a few slots for this week, and plan to work on the next step next weekend.
But I wasn't finished. I was really excited about the art journal and didn't want that to be put on the back burner. So I just made a quick separate note to work on the journal today too. Prime a page this afternoon so it is ready for me.
If you are anything like me, you notice that time slips by so fast. That one moment it is early morning and the rest of the house is still, the next moment everyone is ready for dinner and nothing is made. Our days fly by and we love it, we love time spent with friends, reading together, playing games, taking music lessons, all the things that make up our days. But those creative ideas of mine do so very often
get lost in the shuffle. I'm positive some have been trampled. How about yours?

This sweet bit of organization, gentle organization, is something I felt I had to share with you.

If you're curious about the green self portrait ~ my girls did this in their art class and I loved the idea so much I came home and did one too. I will post their drawings when they are finished.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't get to finish coloring my portrait...

5:37 PM  
Blogger hsing3kinder said...

The girls didn't either ~ too little time.
I used watercolor crayons & love the color!

5:48 AM  
Blogger ps pirro said...

I'm loving that green portrait! Your your blog is so full of creative energy these days. Are you guys eating super-creative-superhero-cereal or something?

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home