Christmas
Yet another post on my handmade Christmas. Last year I don't think I made anything for my family or friends aside from cookies.. I bought handmade items from etsy and such, but lacked the confidence to give anything of my own.
I don't know that I'm much more confident, but I am much more "out there" with my art and my family members seems to recognize what I'm doing has value. I also know that I'm a bit lacking in funds for Christmas this year, so perhaps I'm more willing to work at giving my own handmade!
Anyway ~ on to our Christmas card this year. I'm inspired by my friend again. Sarah (http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairiepoppins/) created a family zine at the beginning of this year and it has sat on my desk this whole time. I didn't want to loose it or forget it!
Finally I gathered up thoughts and ideas for our own family zine.

St Nick is a big part of our family celebration, so he had to be included. On the back of this page I explain our own tradition and a bit about his story.

This is the back cover and is totally inspired by Sarah's manga family. I don't know that I could have drawn this without looking at hers, even though it's a tad different, I needed to refer to the proportions. It took a few rough drafts to get us all in this small space.

This will be a coupon book for my 90 year old grandmother. Good for Wendy's chili, a hamburger basket, donuts and coffee, snicker's bar, chinese take-out. All things she loves, but can not really afford or go and pick up herself. Included in the book is our number and an offer for her favorites, free (plus no delivery charge!).
I'm not patient enough to wait for morning sunlight (who knows if we'd have any anyway, it's been a bit gloomy) so the colors are washed out.
(I'd forgotten how much I like watercolor on notecards too. The texture is so nice!)
The other project on my desk right now is my dad's Christmas gift ~

Well, really it was to be his birthday gift. (in March) But I hated it. There was a tree, there was a fence, there were birds... but I hated it.
After a coat of gesso and some inspiration ~ www.flickr.com/photos/beckydjd/3076797317/ ~ the tree and fence repainted, and new details added.
Again, I'm not waiting for tomorrow morning to get good natural light., so this is a bit
washed out.
We're getting to crunch time around here. A trip out of town this weekend will put a halt to quiet time at my desk. The kids have been so patient with me the last couple of days. We have stacks of Christmas books to be reading, scads of cookies to bake, and much creating to do, yet they willingly let me work.
I'm not planning to push it a third day though, I expect that might cause an uprising. Tomorrow the stacks, the cookies and the creating! (together)
I don't know that I'm much more confident, but I am much more "out there" with my art and my family members seems to recognize what I'm doing has value. I also know that I'm a bit lacking in funds for Christmas this year, so perhaps I'm more willing to work at giving my own handmade!
Anyway ~ on to our Christmas card this year. I'm inspired by my friend again. Sarah (http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairiepoppins/) created a family zine at the beginning of this year and it has sat on my desk this whole time. I didn't want to loose it or forget it!
Finally I gathered up thoughts and ideas for our own family zine.

St Nick is a big part of our family celebration, so he had to be included. On the back of this page I explain our own tradition and a bit about his story.

This is the back cover and is totally inspired by Sarah's manga family. I don't know that I could have drawn this without looking at hers, even though it's a tad different, I needed to refer to the proportions. It took a few rough drafts to get us all in this small space.

This will be a coupon book for my 90 year old grandmother. Good for Wendy's chili, a hamburger basket, donuts and coffee, snicker's bar, chinese take-out. All things she loves, but can not really afford or go and pick up herself. Included in the book is our number and an offer for her favorites, free (plus no delivery charge!).
I'm not patient enough to wait for morning sunlight (who knows if we'd have any anyway, it's been a bit gloomy) so the colors are washed out.
(I'd forgotten how much I like watercolor on notecards too. The texture is so nice!)
The other project on my desk right now is my dad's Christmas gift ~

Well, really it was to be his birthday gift. (in March) But I hated it. There was a tree, there was a fence, there were birds... but I hated it.
After a coat of gesso and some inspiration ~ www.flickr.com/photos/beckydjd/3076797317/ ~ the tree and fence repainted, and new details added.
Again, I'm not waiting for tomorrow morning to get good natural light., so this is a bit
washed out.
We're getting to crunch time around here. A trip out of town this weekend will put a halt to quiet time at my desk. The kids have been so patient with me the last couple of days. We have stacks of Christmas books to be reading, scads of cookies to bake, and much creating to do, yet they willingly let me work.
I'm not planning to push it a third day though, I expect that might cause an uprising. Tomorrow the stacks, the cookies and the creating! (together)



1 Comments:
Cool portrait of you guys!
It *is* tricky to try to re-imagine people as manga, no? I sorta bent my brain while trying it.
Post a Comment
<< Home