Wednesday, July 25, 2007

This Week's Library Stack


I found myself in the library alone yesterday. Whoa. This should shock you, it did me.
I had dropped the oldest off for an event, and left the two youngest at home with dad. I had planned on returning some items and suddenly realised I had no one to check on, tag along, to whine, who wasn't interested in what I wanted to look at.....
So I perused. First I ended up at the computer looking for the dvd of Miss Potter. My 6yog is a HUGE Beatrix Potter fan. We've read many/all of her books and biographies. She can't wait to see the movie, but alas they were all check out. Every single branch and they all had a tag of "no holds". Bummer.
But there was a paperback available based on the movie. So I picked that up and figured it would tide us over until the dvd was available.
Next I meandered to the education section. I don't check there often, but seeing I had all this solitude it was worth it. I have checked out the "what your .... grader needs to know" several times, so picked up the sixth grade book. I don't follow anything to a "t", but I like checking books like this or a scope and sequence every-once-in-a-while.
I also picked up some Scholastic math and vocab books. These usually have fun little games or worksheets in them. We might just pick out a few activities that we like, make copies and put them in a folder. They are good to keep for records also.
My oldest and I have talked about schooling many times this year. We've got friends in all phases of schooling, unschooling, schooling at home, public schooled, private schooled....lots to compare and contrast.
We decided that a little bit of school daily is just right for us. As a rule, I try to stick with the 3Rs. That way we have time to explore what the kids would like to investigate.
Our 3Rs schooling also allows time for the kids to be in music lessons (and pratice) and take classes at the library or co-op, etc. All optional. Though if they are going to take an instrument they are required to pratice. Hey, I play guitar and if I don't pratice it is not a joyful noise to anyone! :-)
The next section I went to was art. I was happy to find the Drawing People book and a couple of the Magna books that I heard about in Episode 51 of cmp

I have a couple of magna sketches that I will post too. They are pretty simple, but cute.
Dh is still on a Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe) kick, so found a hardback and some dvds for him. I did find a biography by the way. Rex Stout: A Biography: A Majesty's Life by John J. McAleer
Of course it is out of print, but I found one for around 20.00. That will make a nice birthday gift for him.
Then I finally made my way to the children's section. I picked up a couple of picture books, and
Elizabeth Taylor's Nibbles and Me for the oldest. Elizabeth Taylor wrote this when she was 14. The drawings are adorable and though my dd won't know who she is, I know that she will love this sweet book about a girl and her pet.
I also picked up Benjamin Franklin by the D'Aulaires. A few weeks ago we lost our power during a storm. The little ones and I watched, from our kitchen window, a lightening bolt strike the transformer in our neighbors yard and watched balls (at least 5) of lightening travel down the wires. Thankfully they went away from our house, and did no damage but knock out the line. It was pretty scary at the time! Anyway, I told them about Franklin then and we picked up another small biography. This one though has beautiful illustrations, like the rest of their books.
The Avatar dvd was on the new release shelf,
and I couldn't walk by without picking it up for the little guys.
As I left the library I took advantage of the time I had left and drove over to
Dick Blick to pick up some watercolor pages. Then I figured I had better head home.
The quiet was nice while it lasted.
The kids were ready for me to show them the goods I had
picked up and we started reading right away.





Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going to the library w/o the kids is an otherworldly experience. You can actually LINGER. (It's nice to reacquaint oneself with lingering, isn't it?) Enjoy your stack.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love beatrix too :))))))) Cool stack!

10:19 PM  
Blogger kitten said...

Glad you got to indulge and enjoy some you time! You deserve it!
kitten
I love them books that tells you what your child needs to learn at a certain level.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home