Thank you Sarah and Holly (and Emily for the phone call!) for the sleeping advice~ Last night and tonight the mp3 players has helped. My ds was able to drift off quickly and my night-owl was wonderfully entertained.
I don't know that this will be a permanent solution, but I'm thankful it is helping her for now.
So I spent today with a friend that I haven't seen in months. We spent our time gazing at art, snacking, watching the kids play, talking and deciding that we shan't let time fly by like that again.
I love the way she interacts with my children. Taking their questions with patience, listening to them and teaching as the moment presents itself.
I'm so thankful for that.
But she always challenges me. Asks the questions I try to ignore..
Once I was talking to her about unschooling and I said that it felt like unschooling was taking the easy way out.
She said, "What's wrong with easy?"
oh. Easy is an option? huh.
That was about a year ago, and it still tumbles about in my brain.
Today she asks about our week, our activities, do I like what we're doing? What would I change?
There she goes again, making me think instead of just doing...
then she goes in for the kill ~ "Where's the fun?"
so I start listing what I think the kids are having fun with and she says with a smile, "No for you. Where's the fun for you?"
oh...hmm.
I'm pretty sure that one is going to run around in my brain for a while too.
Immediate answers~
there's fun in the art I dabble with, like this journal entry:

I like and enjoy the classes I'm teaching, I play guitar in a band at church and that is fun & challenging, and I'm in a couple of small groups ~ that's always fun. But not much of that pertains to the time I spend with the kids. (or my dh for that matter.)
Where's the fun...
I guess that's an option.
I don't know that this will be a permanent solution, but I'm thankful it is helping her for now.
So I spent today with a friend that I haven't seen in months. We spent our time gazing at art, snacking, watching the kids play, talking and deciding that we shan't let time fly by like that again.
I love the way she interacts with my children. Taking their questions with patience, listening to them and teaching as the moment presents itself.
I'm so thankful for that.
But she always challenges me. Asks the questions I try to ignore..
Once I was talking to her about unschooling and I said that it felt like unschooling was taking the easy way out.
She said, "What's wrong with easy?"
oh. Easy is an option? huh.
That was about a year ago, and it still tumbles about in my brain.
Today she asks about our week, our activities, do I like what we're doing? What would I change?
There she goes again, making me think instead of just doing...
then she goes in for the kill ~ "Where's the fun?"
so I start listing what I think the kids are having fun with and she says with a smile, "No for you. Where's the fun for you?"
oh...hmm.
I'm pretty sure that one is going to run around in my brain for a while too.
Immediate answers~
there's fun in the art I dabble with, like this journal entry:

I like and enjoy the classes I'm teaching, I play guitar in a band at church and that is fun & challenging, and I'm in a couple of small groups ~ that's always fun. But not much of that pertains to the time I spend with the kids. (or my dh for that matter.)
Where's the fun...
I guess that's an option.


3 Comments:
I am struggling with time for myself for fun. There does not seem to be enough time in the day to have some peaceful moments on my own. By the time DS is ready to be on his own, dinner needs to be made, DH is coming home.
dang... you remembered and quoted something I said a year ago! Wow. Nice bridge image in your journal there. I wonder what it spans...
Wow - what an amazing friend to have. And... you seem to handle the questions well!
Post a Comment
<< Home