I link to Sarah's blog quite a bit, and I probably should just add her to my sidebar (which needs an update anyway...) but I tend to think that most of my readers are in the same circle.
Just in case we're not.. you need to read her article on Mindful Homeschooling.
She sums up and writes most eloquently my thoughts and strong feelings about our schooling.
I could just send you there ( and I did that very thing for a few of you via email)
but I'll add a few thoughts here.
~I haven't read a homeschooling book or attended a conference (workshop that is, I still love to peruse the book sale!!) in years.
They just drive me insane. It doesn't matter what the topic is, how much the speaker explains , what the hard sell is ... it doesn't fit us. One curriculum has never fit us, one method has never fit us. Each of my children are unique and I am not going to force them to comply to something that will only frustrate them. Remember the question from Peggy? Where's the joy?
It applies to the children too. That's one reason we homeschool, remember?
The truth is that we're all works in progress. Yes, all ~ mothers and children. We're moving, changing, growing, learning, reaching, teaching, developing.. the sooner we figure that out, the better.
The more gentle and mindful we can behave
and our relationships can be built and hold strong.
Are you trying so hard to to it all the right way that you've forgotten to enjoy?
~"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are."
~ The Tao of Pooh
Just in case we're not.. you need to read her article on Mindful Homeschooling.
She sums up and writes most eloquently my thoughts and strong feelings about our schooling.
I could just send you there ( and I did that very thing for a few of you via email)
but I'll add a few thoughts here.
~I haven't read a homeschooling book or attended a conference (workshop that is, I still love to peruse the book sale!!) in years.
They just drive me insane. It doesn't matter what the topic is, how much the speaker explains , what the hard sell is ... it doesn't fit us. One curriculum has never fit us, one method has never fit us. Each of my children are unique and I am not going to force them to comply to something that will only frustrate them. Remember the question from Peggy? Where's the joy?
It applies to the children too. That's one reason we homeschool, remember?
The truth is that we're all works in progress. Yes, all ~ mothers and children. We're moving, changing, growing, learning, reaching, teaching, developing.. the sooner we figure that out, the better.
The more gentle and mindful we can behave
and our relationships can be built and hold strong.
Are you trying so hard to to it all the right way that you've forgotten to enjoy?
~"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are."
~ The Tao of Pooh


3 Comments:
It's all about the joy, always! Deep joy, rich life. I think the boxed curricula peddlers and hard-sellers prey on fear (and I could write pages upon pages about fear, but I won't cuz this is your blog!) My only quibble with Poppins' excellent post was the labeling of radical unschooling as "extreme"... until I thought about it and realized it is extreme: extremely Mindful, extremely Attentive, extremely Joyful, extremely Engaged. And extremely Good for my kiddo and me. I think I might go and leave a comment saying just that.
Please do write the pages and pages on fear, because I keep wondering if that ever subsides.
I read it and enjoyed it as well. I, however, attend one conference a year. I chose to keep my teaching certificate current and it counts for my continuing education. So, I bring my knitting. I get a lot done :-).
Post a Comment
<< Home