May 2007
An afternoon of finger paints at our table with GG, a stripey, sunny yellow kitchen, one of my favorite photos ~

August 2008
a glorious Thursday morning at the table with Aunt Donna (who visits every Th bearing cinnamon rolls from McDonald's)playing a game of Zeus on the Loose (thank you sooo much Holly! We love it!!), having Reese over, doin' the laundry, all while Elmo plays on the laptop. Seriously it is mornings like this that warm my heart. It's not tidy, might not look productive to everyone, but I love it.

Parker is hidden behind Grace, probably trying to steal Zeus, even though it isn't his turn! Our shells have been pulled down and sit on the table as well as, A Book of Sea Shells. They've been sorted and named.
And it is the second full week of school here... we've not yet cracked open a book. There have been violin and cello lessons, there will be co-op classes next week, there has been letter writing, scales memorized, math games played, many mornings and evenings of exercise, lots of drawings & collage work.. but no "school books" opened.
It is our official beginning of "unschooling" or shall I say, it is the official beginning of me biting my tongue when I want to say, "Hey Grace, why don't you get out your math book?" Or "Hey Lucy, wanna start your reading?", it is the official start of me saying "yes" to more letterboxing, more trips to the children's museum, saying yes to more baking with Parker.
It is not really the official beginning of unschooling.. it is the official beginning of not schooling. The kids ~ they haven't even noticed.


An afternoon of finger paints at our table with GG, a stripey, sunny yellow kitchen, one of my favorite photos ~

August 2008
a glorious Thursday morning at the table with Aunt Donna (who visits every Th bearing cinnamon rolls from McDonald's)playing a game of Zeus on the Loose (thank you sooo much Holly! We love it!!), having Reese over, doin' the laundry, all while Elmo plays on the laptop. Seriously it is mornings like this that warm my heart. It's not tidy, might not look productive to everyone, but I love it.

Parker is hidden behind Grace, probably trying to steal Zeus, even though it isn't his turn! Our shells have been pulled down and sit on the table as well as, A Book of Sea Shells. They've been sorted and named.
And it is the second full week of school here... we've not yet cracked open a book. There have been violin and cello lessons, there will be co-op classes next week, there has been letter writing, scales memorized, math games played, many mornings and evenings of exercise, lots of drawings & collage work.. but no "school books" opened.
It is our official beginning of "unschooling" or shall I say, it is the official beginning of me biting my tongue when I want to say, "Hey Grace, why don't you get out your math book?" Or "Hey Lucy, wanna start your reading?", it is the official start of me saying "yes" to more letterboxing, more trips to the children's museum, saying yes to more baking with Parker.
It is not really the official beginning of unschooling.. it is the official beginning of not schooling. The kids ~ they haven't even noticed.




5 Comments:
Great shots of the family.
It looks like you're all having a blast.
I'm glad to hear Zeus on the Loose was a success, hate to recommend a disaster :-). James actually took me by surprise and beat me yesterday. Not that he hasn't beaten me before, but I've always seen it coming, encouraged it, lead him on. This time it was like a lightning bolt, so to speak :-).
James bedroom in our old house was similiar coolors, thicker stripes as the yellows. He misses it so. And yet, when given the opportunity to repaint his bedroom, he picked something entirely different, darker, more grown up perhaps?
Cool! I can't wait to hear about your unschooling adventures! LOVE the fort!!!!!!!
makes my heart smile:)
Cool fort. I want one of those.
For good unschooling support you might want to look at the Shine with Unschooling yahoo email list. People are very open and honest about their journeys. I've found it helpful and reassuring.
We'll have to have a meet-up post-L&L (and you can share tales of G's confirmation process. I remember those days...)
Post a Comment
<< Home